In 1869 the Basque immigrant Ángel Veláz bought 1000 has. of land from a traditional family. There he established a pulpería (traditional general-provisions store, bar and rural meeting point), which was used as a meeting point for the few people living in the area at that time, as a means of copying with the flatness, distance and silence of the area. The carriages going along the Royal Highway through the infinite pampas carrying goods and mail from all over the country also used to pass by this point. No fences, groves, mills or trains existed at that time.
This pulpería, called “La Esquina de Veláz” (The Corner of Veláz), was the place where European immigrants, who had just arrived to the country, and gauchos, who then still wore their traditional clothes, met. The atmosphere at the place was one of alcohol and shiny facones (gaucho knives), which forced the bar tender to seek protection behind the iron bars.
The Royal Highway – which received this name by authorization of the Spanish monarch - extended from San Antonio de Areco to Pilar, and was the way Camila O’Gorman took towards her execution. Don Segundo Ramírez (character created by Ricardo Güiraldes in “Don Segundo Sombra”) also took this way when herding the livestock to Buenos Aires. When the terrible epidemic yellow fever killed thousands in the city in the year 1871, this house accommodated the family and the people living by the area for three months.
In the 20th Century the daughter of Ángel Vélaz, María – married to Eduardo Goyenechea – improved the main house with modern constructions. She also made it more comfortable and planted vegetation, a pigeon loft and an exotic garden. Because of this, the estancia became one of the most traditional places in Exaltación de la Cruz and Pilar. The old house still preserves its original style, which is a colonial style mixed with Italian tendencies and art-nuveau.
Different exotic plants can be found in the main garden of the estancia, along with ancient trees and the tallest palo borracho or “drunken tree” (Chorisia insignis) in Buenos Aires and its surroundings.
The wind mill, the design of the garden, the kitchen and the English pipeline system that reached every corner of the main house reflected the modernity of that time. All this luxuries were the reason why its name was changed from "La Mariane” (name of the owner’s wife) to “La Mimosa”, which is a term that was used at that time and that shows the devotion of its owner for the aesthetic and functional improvement of the property.